Young Peoples Pavilion: Rachel Renée Russell's bunny slippers aren’t allowed in court.

Photo courtesy of Simon and Schuster
Rachel Renée Russell is an attorney who prefers writing tween books to legal briefs. (Mainly because books are a lot more fun and pajamas and bunny slippers aren’t allowed in court.) Rachel lives in Chantilly, Virginia. Author of the #1 New York Times Best Selling book series, Rachel first introduced us to Nikki Maxwell in 2009 and since that time she has written 13 books in the series which have sold more than 45 million copies worldwide.

Dork Diaries is a humorous children's book series written and illustrated by Rachel Renée Russell. The series, written in a diary format, uses drawings, doodles, and comic strips to chronicle the daily life of its 14-year-old protagonist, Nikki Maxwell, in and outside of middle school.

Can you share a little about your background? 

I grew up in Saint Joseph, Michigan, a small city located on the shore of Lake Michigan. I have 2 younger sisters and 2 younger twin brothers. I wrote and illustrated my first book in 6th grade as a birthday present for my brothers. I’m an attorney but my passion is writing children’s books. I currently reside in Northern Virginia with my very spoiled Yorkie who actually believes she is half human and half cat. Do you have any children? I have two daughters, Erin and Nikki. Although Nikki Maxwell is named after my youngest daughter, Nikki, her personality is a combination of myself, Erin and Nikki. 

What’s your inspiration for writing Dork Diaries? 

My daughters, Erin and Nikki are my inspiration for writing Dork Diaries. They are both a lot like Nikki Maxwell – very DORKY. Many of the events in the book series are based on real life experiences my daughters and I had when we attended middle school. I’m thrilled to know that my book series has inspired so many young girls and boys to be proud of their uniqueness and embrace their inner DORK! Were you considered a DORK in middle school? Yes! And, I’m STILL a total DORK. 

"I’m really excited because bringing Nikki Maxwell and her family and friends to life will be a dream come true!" the author said.

Read the full interview here







Comments